6.13.2010

June 13th 2010 - Rooting For All Of Them

A few days ago, a friend of mine informed me that his son’s baseball team had won a crucial game, advancing the team to a final game that would decide who would be first place in their division. I was very excited for them, and thought about rooting for his son’s team. That got me into a philosophical debate within my mind about winning and losing, and the implications of winning and losing on a child.

After some thought, I decided to root for each individual kid. I realized that it didn’t matter who won or lost the game. The real winning and losing comes after the game is over. I realized that winners could lose, and losers could win, depending on how each reacted to the winning or losing. What would the win mean to the winner and the loss mean to the loser? What would each do with the win or the loss? How would it affect their attitudes about themselves and each other? How would they treat each other after the game? I just hope that each child will make the best of the experience, whether his team wins or loses the game. I’m rooting for all of them.

Sincerely,
Alan

2 comments:

  1. This is a poem I wrote about 8 years ago on this subject:

    Fragments of Love

    I won the Battle of Winning and Losing
    You won the War
    It’s all so confusing
    This matter of winning
    And someone else losing

    You talk about Quality
    You’re picking and choosing
    Compartmentalizing
    The winning and losing
    This dull human mind
    Must Di-chot-o-mize
    If we are to survive
    To re-main alive
    We must pick and choose!
    WE MUST WIN OR LOSE!

    “Hate” is a strong word
    An ugly word, too
    “Love” even stronger
    Doesn’t Love last much longer?
    Didn’t Love win the War?
    WILL YOU HAND ME THE SCORECARD?
    all this picking and choosing
    all this winning and losing

    I’ve developed a game
    Called THE ENERGY GAME
    Well, I can’t call it mine
    It defies space and time
    And I couldn’t invent it
    With my dull human mind
    Where no one keeps score
    There’s no winning or losing
    I can’t say it’s much fun
    It’s kind of confusing

    Here comes the Judge!
    He looks just like you
    He looks kind of like me
    In that Light and that hue
    He’s retiring, he says
    For lack of a scheme
    Can we develop a trophy?
    “I thought there were teams!”

    It would be such a win
    If I had it within
    To defy all that bunk
    To discard all that junk
    To declutter my Mind
    To forget about Time

    To lose all the battles
    Could be such a win
    To let someone else win
    Would that be such a sin?
    Who really wins in that case?
    And who will hold the race
    To the end of the losing
    And end of the winning?
    Because there will never be an END
    As there was no BEGINNING

    These FRAGMENTS OF LOVE
    Sit Board-side
    Waiting for your next move

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss you lots...Love that there will never be an
    end as there was no beginning!

    Sending all my love to you,

    Lynney

    ReplyDelete